Public Works

Ferndale’s Department of Public Works (DPW) maintains the cleanliness and safety of the City. They oversee waste and recycling services, water and service line repairs, seasonal yard waste, leaf pickup, snow removal and emergencies, rainwater and flooding, and maintenance of the sidewalks and roads. 

Yard Waste Pickup

The City provides curbside yard waste collection annually from April through December. Yard waste—including grass clippings, leaves, small sticks, and weeds—is collected weekly on your regular trash day.


Department of Public Works

Ferndale Public Works
521 E. Cambourne
Ferndale, MI 48220


Garbage and Recycling

Citywide garbage collection is serviced by Car Trucking, and recycling is serviced through the Southeast Oakland County Resource Recovery Association (SOCRRA). All residential areas are serviced weekly on a set schedule, Monday through Friday. 

Snow Removal

The City's Public Works Department (DPW) provides snow removal according to the Winter Maintenance Guide. Learn more about best snow removal practices to keep you and your neighbors safe during the cold and icy temperatures. 

Need to Start or Stop  Your Water Service?

To register for water services at your property, please fill out the Application for Water/Sewer Service Form

To Stop your water services at your property, please fill out the Final Water Bill Request Form

Public Works Department FAQs

For additional questions, contact the Public Works Department at 248-546-2519. 

What holidays does the City not collect garbage and recycling?
  • New Year’s Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day

If your collection day falls on one of these holidays, please set your garbage containers at the curb the following day. This also includes the remainder of the days of that week following the holiday. Please note: If a holiday falls on a Sunday, collection will not be affected or delayed.

What type of garbage is not collected?
  • Radioactive materials--call the Oakland County Health office at 248-424-7093.
  • Hazardous materials like volatile cleaning fluids, chemicals, acids, caustics, drugs, explosives, poisons, and batteries; call SOCRRA at 248-288-5153.
  • Roofing--call a local transfer station
  • Vehicles engines or transmissions. Call a local salvage yard.
  • Construction or building materials
  • Dirt and rocks--call a local transfer station.
  • Auto tires
Does the City pick up bulk items from the curbside?

Yes. Bulk items shall not be placed at the curb for pickup before 4:00 p.m. the day before your collection day. Bulk items include appliances such as washers, dryers, hot water tanks, air conditions, refrigerators, and furniture. Doors to bulk items shall be removed before being taken to the curb for pickup.  

How do I dispose of hazardous waste?

Paints, garden chemicals, automotive products, antifreeze, household cleaners, solvents, insulin syringes, and other hazardous household materials may be accepted by appointment only.  

If you are a resident and need these hazardous materials removed, contact SOCRRA's Special Household Waste Hotline for a collection appointment at 248-288-5153.

How can I compost?

As an alternative to bagging and curbside pickup, many residents enjoy the natural benefits of composting. Check out the Compost Pilot Program page to learn how to get involved.

How do I take part in curbside leaf pickup?

Our Department of Public Works (DPW) services all Ferndale residences. Simply rake your leaves to the curb by 7:00 a.m. on the Monday of your scheduled week's pickup and DPW will be by before the end of the week to vacuum them. 

When is curbside leaf pickup?

The City of Ferndale's curbside leaf pickup runs annually from roughly the third week of October through the beginning of December. Dates vary by year; this year's dates and other important information are published on the leaf pickup page. 

How do I keep my pipes from freezing?

Pipes can freeze due to a sudden drop in temperature, poor insulation, or thermostats set too low. Both plastic and copper pipes can burst, and recovering from frozen pipes is not as simple as calling a plumber. According to AAA, a 1/8-inch crack in a pipe can spew up to 250 gallons of water a day, causing flooding, serious structural damage, and the potential for mold.

If your water pipes have already burst, turn off the water at the main shutoff valve in the house. Leave the water faucets turned on. Make sure everyone in your family knows where the water shutoff valve is and how to open and close it.

Here are some tips to protect your pipes ahead of time:

  • Seal leaks around pipes that allow cold air inside. Look for air leaks around electrical wiring, dryer vents, and pipes; use caulk or insulation to keep the cold out.
  • Disconnect garden hoses. If possible, use an indoor valve to shut off and drain water from pipes leading to outside faucets. This reduces the chance of freezing in pipes just inside the house.
  • If a deep freeze is expected, let warm water drip overnight, preferably from a faucet on an outside wall. Just a trickle may keep your pipes from freezing.
  • Keep your thermostat set at the same temperature day and night. You might be in the habit of turning down the heat when you're asleep, but further temperature drops—more common overnight—could catch you off guard and freeze your pipes.
  • Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to uninsulated pipes under sinks and to appliances near exterior walls.
What should I do if my water pressure seems low?

If your water pressure seems low, contact the DPW Water Department at 248-546-2514 to see if work is being performed in your area. You may also contact Water Department Billing at 248-546-2374 to see if your service has been impacted or discontinued due to nonpayment.

Does the City use anticoagulants?

In October of 2020, City Council signed a resolution against the use of anticoagulant rodenticides as part of maintenance programs for City-owned parks and facilities and recognized that the use of anticoagulant pesticides is harmful to our community environment. The City’s DPW discourages the use of anticoagulants and serves as a model in promoting alternative means of pest control on public property. The full resolution can be found here.