The Records Bureau is responsible for processing all police incidents/reports and paperwork. In order to determine the status of a report, citizens should contact the Records Bureau.
310 E. 9 Mile Road
Ferndale, MI 48220
Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Gun Purchase Permit:
- Gun permits are available for pick up the following business day provided your criminal history comes back clear. If there is an issue, it may take up to 10 days for a resolution.
- You must bring a valid driver’s license and a second piece of ID such as a voter registration card, birth certificate, or passport.
- Gun permits allow for a 30-day window in order to make your gun purchase.
- There is a requirement that your signature is notarized on the permit. The Ferndale Police Department charges $10 for this service, however, it is not mandatory that you use our department for this service.
- The State of Michigan no longer requires the basic pistol questionnaire.
Obtaining a Copy of a Police Report:
- Draft crash reports are usually available the following business day. (Non draft reports are available through the States website or from the Ferndale Police Department within 7–10 business days). There is a $4 charge for crash and incident reports.
- Make sure to contact us at (248) 546-2386 to make sure that the report is available for pick up.
- FOIA requests and subpoena requests have their own distinct costs. Contact the Records Bureau for more information.
Traffic & Crash Reports:
- Visit the Ferndale Police Department and present your accident report number and driver's license/State Identification Card. The fee is $4.
- Your crash report may be purchased online at either CLEMIS OR Docview.us.com.
- Fingerprinting services are for Ferndale residents only. Proof of residency is required. The cost of this service is $10.
Local Police Clearances:
- This service is for Ferndale residents only. Proof of residency is required.
- We do not provide Michigan State Police Criminal Checks.
Purchase Drug Kits:
- Kits are self administered. Prices range from $5-$15 for an eight panel kit.
Portable Breath Tests (PBT):
- PBT tests are for Ferndale residents only. Costs are $10 per test, tests must be purchased in five or ten test increments. Total costs should be either $50 or $100.
Royal Oak Township:
- Royal Oak Township is not under the City of Ferndale's jurisdiction. They are listed as "City of Ferndale" because they do not have a post office. Royal Oak Township residents that require these services should contact the Oakland County Sheriff’s Department at 248-591-7239, or the Michigan State Police at 248-584-5799.