Fire Employment Opportunities
Ferndale is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. The City values diversity, equity, and inclusion, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration with these values in mind.
For more information about current job openings, please visit the jobs page.
The department has a staff of 24 firefighters, 1 Fire Marshal, and 1 Administrative Assistant with an annual budget of approximately $4.5 million. The Department is a member of the OAKWAY mutual aid group and works collaboratively with its neighboring departments.
Firefighters serve and protect the community through firefighting, fire prevention, inspections, education, and ongoing training programs. Our firefighters are first responders, combating and extinguishing fires; performing rescues, hazmat responses, and life support functions; and engaging in other specialized duties under emergency conditions, frequently involving personal hazard and/or severe weather conditions. Command staff are required to be Fire Inspector 1 Certified.
$54,170 to $79,463 (Firefighter Paramedics with previous experience may be eligible for lateral pay)
- Valid State of Michigan Emergency Medical Services (a minimum of EMT) license
- Able to successfully pass a departmental criminal, civil and background investigation to the satisfaction of the department
- Valid CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test) completed and on file by offer date
- 20/30 vision, corrected to 20/20
- EMPCO registration and completed firefighter written exam
- An employee in this class, upon employment, will be required to enter into and successfully complete all necessary training, including in-service training with Ferndale Fire Department and other schools to which the employee may be assigned. All employees shall receive such further training as shall be deemed necessary by the Ferndale Fire Department or mandated by the State of Michigan or United States Government.
- Valid operator’s license
- Paramedic license valid in the State of Michigan
- Firefighter I and II certificates from a State of Michigan certified Fire Academy