Building Services

Building Permits

Building permits ensure that your work is in compliance with the building codes that regulate the processes of demolition, renovation, installation, construction, and inspection.

To complete a permit application, visit our Online Permit Center.

Permit Types

  • Building: Permit required whether you plan on making home improvements yourself or with the help of a contractor, architect, or construction worker.
  • Electrical: Permit required for any installation, alteration or repair of electric wiring, equipment, apparatus or fixture for light, heat, power, medical or other purposes, where the electromotive force exceeds 30 volts.
  • Mechanical: Property owners may personally install a heating or refrigerating system in the dwelling.  The applicant shall apply for and secure the required permits from the Community and Economic Development Department and shall obtain the required inspection after the installation is completed and the equipment is placed in operation.
  • Plumbing: Any and all construction work in connection with sewerage and drainage including septic tanks, shall be performed by a licensed digger.
  • Sewer: Permit required to repair your sanitary service lateral to ensure that the work is done properly and meets 
  • Repair: the current Michigan Plumbing Code. 

To set up an appointment or request or cancel a building, trade, or rental inspection, contact:

Community and Economic Development


Short Term Rentals

Understand the regulation and implementation of short term rentals

Oakland County Home Improvement Plan

Oakland County Community and Home Improvement program, assisting low-income homeowners with minor repairs

Swimming Pools

Considering adding a swimming pool? Start here

Garages & Accessory Buildings

Know the process for adding or building garages, sheds, and other accessory buildings on your property

Decks and Porches

Ensure that your new deck or porch project follows City requirements and safety standards

stay connected

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form


How long does it take the Building Department to review my plans?

The Community and Economic Development Department reviews plans in the order in which they are received. Timely review depends on the accuracy and detail of the plans submitted. Generally speaking, the review process takes 2–4 weeks from the time plans are received.

How many copies of building plans must I submit?

For residential construction: You must submit three copies of your plans to the Community and Economic Development Department. 

For commercial construction: You must submit four copies of your plans to the Community and Economic Development Department. 

When can I schedule building inspections with the City?

Building inspections are performed Monday–Thursday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

Electrical, mechanical, and plumbing inspections are conducted Monday through Thursday between 8:30 and 11:30 a.m.

To schedule an inspection, contact the Community and Economic Development Department at 248-336-4117.

How do I find a qualified builder?

An online license search is available through the State of Michigan website, or call the State of Michigan Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Bureau of Commercial Services Licensing Division at 517-373-8376 to verify the licensing status of a builder or contractor. 

Ask to see certificates of insurance of liability and worker’s compensation. Are they current? Are they issued in the correct company name?

Remember to get everything in writing. Any quotes or contracts should include the builder’s name, business address and phone, and a detailed description of the work being done, materials being used, start and completion dates, method of payment, and payment schedule. Warranty periods should be clearly stated.

There must be a permit for work done in the City and the accompanying green board must be posted and visible from the street. Make sure your builder obtains a permit before work starts.

See All FAQs