Garbage Collection

Garbage Collection

Southeast Oakland County Resource Recovery Association (SOCRRA) is the City's contractor for curbside garbage and recycling collection. All residential carts are serviced weekly on a set schedule, Monday through Friday.

Garbage and recycling may be placed at your street curb at 4:00 p.m. the day before your scheduled pickup, but no later than 7:00 a.m. on the day of your scheduled pickup. Garbage must be stored in metal or plastic containers, no more than 50 pounds, with secure covers and handles. Garbage may not protrude from the container. Waste should be neatly bagged; no scattered or loose debris. To schedule special pickups, such as days other than your designated pickup day or for large amounts of garbage, please contact Cars Trucking at 586-791-8480.

The Do's and Don'ts of Disposal

As a rule of thumb, if an item doesn't go in your recycling container and it is not a functional, reusable item that you can donate, it most likely goes into your garbage container. Sample common garbage only items include: fused materials (granola bar wrappers, foil, candy wrappers), paper towels and tissues, food scraps, chip bags, latex gloves, Styrofoam, broken dishes, and drink boxes and pouches.

Have questions about how to dispose of a specific item? View the list below for guidelines and instructions.

  • Tree, brush, and wood: Must be cut into 6-foot lengths, bundled, and tied, with cuts facing the same direction. Logs must be cut in 3-foot lengths and stacked neatly, and must weigh under 50 lbs. Tree stumps are not permitted, so please contact SOCRRA for a special pickup.
  • Construction Waste (drywall, decking, etc.): Must be bounded, with no more than 50 lbs. in each bundle. A maximum of 5 bundles are permitted.
  • Paneling and drywall: Must be cut into 4x4" pieces, bundled, and tied, with no nails showing.
  • Metal poles, piping, and gutters: Must be cut into 8-foot lengths, bundled, and tied.
  • Carpet and padding: Must be rolled into 6-foot lengths and tied, and weigh no more than 50 lbs.
  • Paint cans: Must be completely dried with lids removed. Otherwise, please take to the SOCRRA drop off facility.
  • Glass: Must be broken into pieces and places in a metal container. No sheets of glass are allowed.
  • Broken concrete: Broken concrete, clean and free of wire, (no bricks or cinder blocks) can be taken to the Ferndale City Yard, located at 521 E. Cambourne.
  • Motor oil and vehicle batteries: Motor oil and vehicle batteries to the Ferndale City Yard, located at 521 E. Cambourne. Please contact the Yard at 248-546-2519 before delivering. Used motor oil from cars, trucks, lawn mowers, etc., should be transported in a tightly sealed plastic gallon jug. Reuse the empty plastic jug, if possible, or dispose of it in the dumpster next to the oil receptacle. Do not mix used oil with gasoline or any other fuel. Wet cell batteries from cars, trucks, boats, etc., should be transported in a secure box.
  • Radioactive materials, hazardous materials (volatile cleaning fluids, chemicals, acids, caustics, drugs, explosives, poisons, and batteries), roofing, vehicle engines, transmissions, or tires,, construction or building materials, and dirt and rocks are NOT accepted.


Where must I store garbage and recycling containers in between pick up days?

Garbage and recycling containers should be stored in the rear of the house between collection periods.  Containers should be neat, sealed with lids, and located where they will not offend neighbors.

What holidays does the City not collect garbage and recycling?

  • New Year's Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day

If your collection day falls on one of these holidays, please set your garbage containers at the curb the following day. This also includes the remainder of the days of that week following the holiday.

What type of garbage is not collected?

  • Radioactive materials--call the Oakland County Health office at 248-424-7093.
  • Hazardous materials like volatile cleaning fluids, chemicals, acids, caustics, drugs, explosives, poisons, and batteries; call SOCRRA at 248-288-5153.
  • Roofing--call a local transfer station
  • Vehicles engines or transmissions. Call a local salvage yard.
  • Construction or building materials
  • Dirt and rocks--call a local transfer station.
  • Auto tires

Does the City pick up bulk items from the curbside?

Yes. Bulk items shall not be placed at the curb for pickup prior to 4:00 p.m. the day before your collection day. Bulk items include appliances such as washers, dryers, hot water tanks, air conditions, refrigerators, and furniture. Doors to bulk items shall be removed before taken to the curb for pickup.  

How do I dispose of hazardous waste?

Paints, garden chemicals, automotive products, antifreeze, household cleaners, solvents, insulin syringes, and other hazardous household materials may be accepted by appointment only.  

If you are a resident and need these hazardous materials removed, contact SOCRRA's Special Household Waste Hotline for a collection appointment at 248-288-5153.

No items found.

Stay Connected


Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form