The Ferndale Police Department wants to ensure everyone has a safe and happy holiday season. Here are some helpful tips to keep the grinches away!
Whether you're leaving your house for last-minute holiday shopping or an ugly sweater party, make sure to leave your home secure.
- Lock all doors and windows
- Protect gifts from being easily seen by closing all blinds or drapes surrounding your tree.
- Never leave your garage door open. If you have a garage door opener, be sure to store it somewhere out of plain sight. Keep the door leading from your garage to the house locked.
- Don't put out empty boxes advertising your new purchases. Instead, break the boxes down and put them in the trash or recycle bin.
Real trees are lovely, but please make sure to keep it regularly watered.
- Always remember to turn lights off when no one is home.
- Ornaments, garland, and other decorations can burn easily.
Traveling for the holidays? Here are some tips for leaving your home unattended.
- Set timers for all indoor and outdoor lights
- Have a trusted friend or neighbor to pick up mail, flyers, and packages
- Put a radio or television station on for volume
- Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway
- You can also contact the Ferndale Police Department and request to be added to the Vacation Watch List. This lets officers keep an extra eye on your home while you are away.
- Please visit https://ferndalemi.seamlessdocs.com/f/VacationWatch to complete the Vacation Watch Form. For more questions, please call: 248-541-3650.
While you're out gift shopping, please be mindful of your surroundings.
- Lock your car at all times
- Take multiple trips to your vehicle after you've purchased your items.
- When walking through parking lots, be aware of your surroundings.
- Store bags in your trunk to keep items out of sight
Shopping electronically? Make sure the website you are purchasing from is safe and secure.
- Check the URL. It should begin with "https." and not "http."
- Shop with companies you trust
- Do not give out personal information over the phone or online unless you know who is collecting it and how they will be using it. This can include social security numbers, addresses, birthdates, and other private information.
Keep personal belongings on you at all times. Pay careful attention to purses, wallets, and money.
- Avoid carrying cash, credit cards, and checks all together in one wallet. Place each type of payment in different locations, like fastened pockets.
- Try to visit an ATM during daylight hours. If you must go after dark, pick a machine that is indoors, well-lit, and clearly visible.
- Don’t “flash” large amounts of money in public areas. Keep cash concealed and only take out the amount you need for each purchase.