$90,515 to $113,040 DOQ
Exempt / Non-Exempt
The Fire Department provides full-scale fire rescue and EMS services to the City of Ferndale, and services to the adjoining communities of Pleasant Ridge and Royal Oak Township. The Fire Chief responds to incidents and provides management for large or complex incidents.The Fire Chief is appointed by the City Council and reports directly to the City Manager. The Department has an authorized strength of 24 firefighters and two administrative assistants. In addition, the Fire Marshall has four part-time inspectors. The Department is a member of the Oakland and Wayne Counties (OAKWAY) mutual aid group. The Department budget for 2019 is $4.9 million.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The City is seeking a contemporary, professional fire services leader. Candidates must have demonstrated a record of leadership and a commitment to proactive, hands-on, participative management and possess excellent interpersonal, problem solving,communication, and financial management skills. The next Chief will have a varied professional fire background that demonstrates success in working with diverse communities while providing leadership in a professional fire agency engaged in collaborative community partnerships.
COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
• Collaborator—will be part of the City Executive Team
• Excellent communicator
• Has a non-autocratic, participative leadership style
• Political acumen—ability to maneuver complex political situations effectively
• A reputation for honesty and being trustworthy,approachable, and dependable
• Advocate for utilizing technology to improve efficiency and effectiveness
• Knowledgeable in best practices and how to implement them
• Decisive—makes decisions based on analysis, experience, and professional judgment
• Consensus builder—both internally and with the community
• Highly visible and engaged leader with confidence, bearing, and respect
• A champion for the Fire and Emergency Services Department and its members
The position requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Fire, Public or Business Administration, or a related field, plus ten years of progressively increasing leadership experience with a career department. Five years of experience as a chief officer is preferred, but not required. Must possess a current and valid Michigan driver’s license or obtain one within 30 days of appointment. Must currently have and maintain the following certifications, or the highest level of certification required to maintain the certification series: IFSAC or PRO Board Accredited Fire Officer I; Michigan or National Registry EMT-Basic; NIMS ICS 100, 200, 300,400, 700, 800 (within 60 days of appointment). National Fire Academy Executive Fire Officer and Chief Fire Officer Accreditation preferred.
The hiring range is $90,515- $113,040, depending on qualifications, with an excellent benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted electronically from July 5 through August 5, 2019, by KRW Associates, LLC. Address to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a cover letter, resume, and six professional references.
Questions should be directed to Lorne Kramer, KRW Associates Managing Partner, at email@example.com or (719) 310-8960, or KRW Associate Barbara Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or (708) 466-8768