Ferndale DPW, 521 E Cambourne St Ferndale MI 48220
$59,901- $69,259 DOQ
Exempt / Non-Exempt
This position is responsible for overseeing 18-19 employees between the Parks and Highway departments. In collaboration with the Director, the supervisor will help lead field operations including both full, part-time, and seasonal employees. We are looking for a candidate with a broad range of experience with the ability to effectively lead a diverse group of employees. The City of Ferndale has a total of 75 miles of roads and 140 acres of park land. This position will be responsible for oversight of street repairs, snow plowing operations, urban forestry, traffic signs, park maintenance, and employee development. The City of Ferndale has made a number of investments in new equipment over the past few years and continues to do so. The city is committed to funding capital investments, daily operations, along with training and development of employees at all levels.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assign, supervise, and coordinate the personnel and work activities of DPW employees.
• Oversee work of employees engaged in public works activities.
• Oversee the storing, dispensing and inventory control of departmental supplies.
• Inspect the physical condition of the equipment and services and report the need for maintenance or replacement required.
• In the absence of a manager or the Director, to carry on his duties as required.
• Prepare written records and reports as required.
Highway and Parks
• Have thorough knowledge and understanding of DPW project planning
• Direct and participate in:
o the maintenance and repair of sidewalks, curbs and other public works structures.
o the maintenance and repair of parking lots, parking meters, traffic signs and markings.
o the maintenance and repair of streets and roads.
o the maintenance and repair of City buildings as required.
o DPW efforts to support special events.
o street sweeping, leaf removal, snow removal, and salting of state highway trunk lines, major roads, and local roads.
• Identifies need for electrical and mechanical repair and maintenance of street lighting and traffic signal equipment; Assist in the planning of sign/signal equipment.
• Erect, paint, repair, and/or replace traffic, street name, and other signs and posts.
• Maintain streetscapes to include planting/trimming of street trees, mowing of boulevards, and maintenance of city owned sidewalks.
• Perform basic electrical installations within public buildings.
• Maintain parks’ grounds and facilities, including landscaping, trees, storage areas, rest rooms, and waste management bins.
• Maintain parks’ parking lots and public parking lot areas. This includes show removal, crack sealing, striping, etc.
• Maintain fleet and fuel system records (RTA/EJ WARD); Assist other departments in accessing reporting through those systems for their department’s vehicles.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
• Graduation from an accredited high school,
• Five (5) or more years of experience within a DPW department with specific experience in the applicable Area of Responsibility,
• Computer skills sufficient to accomplish position tasks,
• Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
For a full list of qualifications and to apply, use the link above.