All birth, death, and marriage/divorce records are handled by the Oakland County Clerk Vital Records Office. There are three different ways to obtain an official copy of a record; you can choose the one that best fits your needs:
The easiest method:
· Place your order online with the Michigan Secretary of State.
· Scroll down to the nine buttons near the bottom of the page, and click the “Order A Record Online” button (in the top-right spot).
· About two-thirds of the way down the page, click the blue link that says “Click here to Order a birth, death, marriage or divorce record online using a debit or credit card." Follow the pages to place your order.
· If you’re not sure what county the birth/death/marriage/divorce took place in or where the records are being maintained, this is the best option, as the State. can search all Michigan records regardless of location.
The cheapest method:
· Place your order online directly with Oakland County here.
· You’ll need to be positive the birth/death/marriage/divorce took place within Oakland County for this to work.
The fastest method:
· Visit the Oakland County Clerk’s Vital Records office in person; they can produce a certified copy for you in 10 minutes.
· You will likely need to make an appointment; check this website for the most current regulations and procedures.
· You can fill out the request form in advance if you want to save a few minutes.
· The Vital Records office is located in Building 12 East at the Oakland County campus: 1200 N. Telegraph Rd., Pontiac, MI 48341. This is the same building as the county courthouse and the county commission auditorium. Use the south parking lot and south entrance for easiest access to the Vital Records office.