Welcome to Ferndale's

City Clerk

City Clerk

The City Clerk serves as the liaison between the public and City Council, and is the City’s keeper of records. The City Clerk also acts as the City’s chief elections official, administering all federal, state, and local elections. Visit our elections page for information about voter registration, absentee ballots, or if you’re interested in volunteering as a precinct inspector.


City Clerk's Office

Ferndale City Hall
300 E. Nine Mile Rd.
Ferndale, MI 48220

(248) 546-2525 (Option #5)

Ask a Question


How do I get on the ballot?

Per Chapter IV of the City Charter, prospective candidates must submit nominating petitions bearing no fewer than 100 and no more than 150 signatures of registered Ferndale voters.

How do I get started if I want to run for a City Council or Mayoral position?

Start by visiting the City Clerk's Office to receive your nominating packet, which includes:

Nominating petitions

Calendar of important dates

Other useful information.

The City Clerk's Office is located at Ferndale City Hall, 300 E. Nine Mile rd. Open hours are Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m.–5:30 p.m.

What are the qualifications for Mayor and City Council positions?

Candidates must be:

Twenty-five years of age or older,

A citizen of the United States,

And a resident of the City of Ferndale at least two years immediately preceding the election at which they seek to be elected for office.

Election is non-partisan and members serve at large (not representing any particular section of the City).

What if I have questions once I’m an official candidate?

All candidates will be provided with a comprehensive candidate handbook, which will answer many questions.

Election-related questions should be directed to the City Clerk. Information will be shared with all candidates.

Questions about City operations should be directed to the City Manager. Information will be shared with all candidates.

What should I know about nominating petitions?


The state has official petition blanks that you must use. They are available at City Hall—you cannot print them at home. Circulators should not sign until after a sheet is filled. Signatures dated later than the circulators cannot be counted.

You can only sign petitions equal to the number of seats open. Where any name appears on more petitions than there are candidates to be elected to a specific office, that name cannot be counted for any petition for that office.

The state mandated deadline to submit nominating petitions is 105 days prior to the election, by 4:00 p.m. at City Hall. No petitions will be accepted after this date and time.


The City Clerk has 5 days to determine the sufficiency of the signatures. Candidates will be notified in writing immediately if they do not have at least 100 valid signatures. As long as the 105-day at 4 p.m. filing deadline has not passed, candidates may submit more signatures to make up the deficiency.

There are many statutory reasons a signature may not be valid. It is highly recommended to exceed the 100-signature minimum, keeping in mind no more than 150 can be accepted.

When are City Council Meetings held?

City Council meetings are held on the second and fourth Monday of each month, at 7:00 p.m. in City Hall Council Chambers. To learn more about meetings and regulations, see our Council rules.

Does the City perform marriages?


The Mayor performs marriage ceremonies by appointment at City Hall in the Council Chambers. Ceremonies must be confirmed and paid for at least 48 hours prior. A marriage license is required by state law. The license is issued by the county clerk from the county in which either one of the parties reside. If both parties are non-residents of the state, you must obtain the license from the county in which the marriage will be performed. Fill out the downloadable form and email it to Deputy City Clerk, Hira Khan. We will then contact you to confirm the date requested is available. Please contact the City Clerk's Office for more information or questions.

How do I apply for a City Board or Commission?

Check our Boards & Commissions page for current vacancies and to complete our online application.

How do I obtain a birth or death certificate?

The Oakland County Clerk and Office of Register of Deeds manages birth and death certificates for all municipalities located in its jurisdiction.

If you are looking to obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate, or any related information, contact the Oakland County Clerk's Department of Vital Records at 248-858-0571 or by email at clerkvital@oakgov.com.

How do I submit a FOIA request?

Visit our Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) page, complete the form, and either email or deliver in person to the City Clerk's Office.

Where do I vote on election day?

The City of Ferndale has nine polling locations, each open between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on all election days. Check our Polling Locations page to find out which precinct you are located in.

Relevant Services

No items found.



No items found.
Read All FAQs


Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form