Welcome to Ferndale's
The City Clerk Department is the keeper of City records, the liaison between the public and City Council, the coordinator of FOIA requests, and the manager of insurance claims and coverage.
The schedule for regular meetings of City Council and all Boards and Commissions can be viewed here.
Visit the Elections Department for information about elections and voting, including voter registration, absentee (AV) ballots, working on Election Day, running for City Council, and all other questions.
City Clerk Department
Ferndale City Hall
300 E. Nine Mile Rd.
Ferndale, MI 48220
248-546-2525 (Option #5)
Ferndale’s City Charter and Code of Ordinances are online in a searchable Municode document. While every attempt is made to keep this online version current, it should be used for reference only. Contact the City Clerk Department for the most recent ordinances.
The City Clerk Department fulfills FOIA requests for all City departments and records pursuant to the Michigan Freedom of Information Act.
For more information, please visit the FOIA page.
The Mayor performs marriage ceremonies by appointment at City Hall in the Council Chambers. They are held on the third Thursday of each month, in 15-minute blocks starting at 6:00 PM. Please note: the ceremony for the month of May 2023 will be held on May 24, 2023, at 6:00 p.m.
Fill out the online form and submit payment online or in-person to book your ceremony. Ceremonies will not be booked until payment is received in full. To avoid online fees, you may pay by cash or check in person during regular business hours.
Please note that a marriage license is required by state law. Either person being married may obtain the license from the County Clerk of the county in which that person resides. If neither person is a Michigan resident, you must obtain the license from the Oakland County Clerk since marriages conducted by the Mayor of Ferndale are performed in Oakland County.
Visit our Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) page, complete the form, and either email or deliver in person to the City Clerk's Office.
All birth, death, and marriage/divorce records are handled by the Oakland County Clerk Vital Records Office. There are three different ways to obtain an official copy of a record; you can choose the one that best fits your needs.
The easiest method:
· Place your order online with the Michigan Secretary of State.
· Scroll down to the nine buttons near the bottom of the page, and click the “Order A Record Online” button (in the top-right spot).
· About two-thirds of the way down the page, click the blue link that says, “Click here to Order a birth, death, marriage or divorce record online using a debit or credit card." Follow the pages to place your order.
· If you’re not sure what county the birth/death/marriage/divorce took place in or where the records are being maintained, this is the best option, as the State can search all Michigan records regardless of location.
The cheapest method:
· Place your order online directly with Oakland County here.
· You’ll need to be positive the birth/death/marriage/divorce took place within Oakland County for this to work.
The fastest method:
· Visit the Oakland County Clerk’s Vital Records office in person; they can produce a certified copy for you in ten minutes.
· You will likely need to make an appointment; check this website for the most current regulations and procedures.
· You can fill out the request form in advance if you want to save a few minutes.
· The Vital Records office is located in Building 12 East at the Oakland County campus: 1200 N. Telegraph Rd., Pontiac, MI 48341. This is the same building as the county courthouse and the county commission auditorium. Use the south parking lot and south entrance for easiest access to the Vital Records office.
City Council meetings are held on the second and fourth Monday of each month, at 7:00 p.m. in City Hall Council Chambers. To learn more about meetings and regulations, see our Council rules.
Check our Boards & Commissions page for current vacancies and to complete our online application.