If a site plan approval is required, the applicant must submit plans in conformance with Article 11, Site Plan Review of the City’s Zoning Ordinance. Complete Site Plan Packages are submitted to the CED department for review. Plans are reviewed and a determination is made regarding the plans compliance with applicable requirements. The plan may be approved administratively, (by the CED Director), or forwarded to the Planning Commission for approval.
- Should I submit my site plan application and plans at City Hall? Site plan applications and plans are preferred to be submit through the online application (HERE). Special arrangements can be made for plans to be submit via a USB drive at City Hall. Paper or CD copies of plans will not be accepted, unless requested by staff.
- How do I determine if my site plan needs Planning Commission or City Council approval? Site plans are reviewed according to the requirements of Article II in the City's Zoning Ordinance (HERE). Sec. 24-141 generally outlines which uses and structures require Planning Commission or City Council review.
- How I determine what the uses and permitted and what a site's zoning district a site is designated as? Fill out a Zoning Determination Request (HERE). Staff will help confirm the site's zoning district and help guide you through the development process.
- Where can I find the City's zoning map? Review the City of Ferndale Zoning Map HERE. If a site is zoned Central Business District (CBD), please also review the CBD Zoning District map HERE.
- Where can I find the City's Zoning Ordinance? Review the City of Ferndale Zoning Ordinance HERE.
- What is the typical timing for a site plan review that requires consideration by the Planning Commission? Site plans shall be submit a minimum of six (6) weeks in advance of a meeting. A staff review will be completed first to determine potential revisions or variances, and make a recommendation on a potential Planning Commission meeting date. Site plans that are submit with special land use and rezoning applications shall be submit for staff review 10 weeks in advance of a meeting. Site plans that are submit with Planned Unit Development (PUD) applications shall be submit for staff review 14 weeks in advance of a meeting.
- If my project requires a zoning variance application, do I need to submit a variance application prior to a site plan? Staff recommends submitting a full site plan to complete a full review of an application to determine any possible variances. A project is typically required to have the Board of Zoning Appeals consider a variance application prior to Planning Commission review.