Property Registration Timeline
1. Fill out the form and submit it for review in person or by mail to: Building Department, 300 E. Nine Mile Rd., Ferndale, MI, 48220. Applicants will be given the rules and regulations and a copy of the regulation ordinance when applying. Applicants must pay all arrears owed to the address to be registered.
2. Inspections are scheduled with the Building Department at 248-546-2525 ext. 115.
3. The property is inspected by a member of the Ferndale Building Department’s inspection team. The inspector will confirm the number of safe, occupiable bedrooms and the maximum occupancy based on the square footage per the 2015 Michigan Residential Code (MRC). Inspectors will ensure all life-safety items are in place and working as required by the MRC and the International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC), such as handrails, guardrails, smoke detectors, and operable windows.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I own a property and want to rent it as a short-term rental, where do I sign up? Applications are available in person at City Hall or online.
- Is there a limit to the number of short-term rentals per neighborhood? Yes, only 5% of the available housing units on a city block can be used as an STR. A housing unit is defined as a home, condo, or apartment.
- How many people are allowed per bedroom in a short-term rental? Two adults are allowed per bedroom under this ordinance.
- What is a substantiated complaint, and how can it cause a property to lose its short-term rental license? A substantiated complaint is when a property has violated the requirements of the ordinance and has been verified by City of Ferndale officials. After three substantiated complaints during a calendar year, an STR will be at risk of losing their license, unable to operate for the remainder of the calendar year, and require a review by the City Manager’s Office.
- My neighbor is advertising a six-person short-term rental online, but there are more than six spending the night. Is this a violation? The ordinance and building code have thresholds for occupancy and noise which can be found here. Please call the Ferndale Police non-emergency line at 248-546-2525 (Option #6) or the Granicus 24-Hour Report Line at 248-453-9776.
- The short-term rental in my neighborhood is not taking out the trash or bringing the cans back, and their guest are parking illegally. What can we do about this? To report code enforcement or occupancy issues, please contact Assistant Building Official Emily Loomis at 248-336-4365 or the Granicus 24-Hour Report Line at 248-453-9776. For parking or noise complaints, call the Ferndale Police non-emergency line at (248) 541-3650. If it is an emergency call, please 911.
- Am I able to send a short-term rental concern electronically? Yes, please send your concerns to Assistant Building Official Emily Loomis at email@example.com or submit to the Granicus portal.